December 13, 2010

Updates.

Hey guys, remember how I told you that I was going to be in jail? Well, I am and the good part about it is that on May 1768, my supporters surrounded the death hole (aka. King’s Bench Prison) and chanted “Wilkes and Liberty!”, “No Liberty, No King”, and “Damn the King, damn the Government! Damn the Justices!”. I was quite excited when I realized I had so many supporters, but things turned ugly when the prison troops opened fire on seven of my supporters. Later on, I learned that this incident was the Massacre of St. George’s Fields. Discouraged, I slumped onto my desolate cell, where I soon fell asleep…. and had a dream. I dreamt that I was a free man and that I would form something called the Bill of Rights Society.
AND IT WASN’T A DREAM. It was all happening! I was released from King’s Bench Prison in April or 1770 (pity me, it has been 2 years in that place), and as I pranced along on the streets, it dawned on me that I was still banned from the House of Commons, but not willing for that to get me down, I joined a campaign for the freedom of the press. In 1771, the House of Commons tried to prevent several newspapers of their debates to be published, and by joining this campaign, I had that incident in mind. I wanted to challenge their decisions, and.. Again, I got in trouble. The government took away two of my printers. None of that mattered because in the end, the government came to their senses and abandoned their attempts to prevent the publication of reports of their debates.
Things are starting to look up because in 1774, I was elected the Lord Mayor of London and also elected to represent Middlesex in the House of Commons. I was an avid politician for religious toleration and passionately opposed the hard punishments of criminals. As I grew older, I became more conservative and less involved in politics. I find that life has more meaning to winning a debate. So for now, I’m just going to chill out, relax, and enjoy the rest that life has prepared for me.
SOURCE: http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/PRwilkes.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment